Thursday, February 7, 2013

Oh, Sandy.

I was sitting with my coworkers one day before we opened the restaurant when my friend Kayla asked if we were all getting ready for the hurricane.  To which I replied "What hurricane?"

Sometimes not having a TV can be dangerous.  But in the day or so leading up to Sandy's arrival in NYC everyone was talking about it.  Although most people were talking about it like it would be no big deal, just like Irene last year.  I wasn't here for Hurricane Irene but I knew there had been a lot of build up for what appeared to be no more than a heavy storm that knocked down a few trees.  I don't think any of us were expecting the violent flooding and loss of power.  I definitely was not expecting to be stranded in a living room for five days with Joey.

Joey and I were working brunch the day the hurricane was set to hit.  We got word that the subways would be shut down in preparation for its arrival that evening.  Luckily, my coworkers kick ass and they all decided I could be the first to leave since I was living in Jersey at the time and had to go home to get my stuff.  Joey and I planned on going to our friend Terra's apartment in Queens so that non e of us would have to be alone.  I had things to do to get ready; my first stop in preparation: Trader Joe's Wine Shop.  The line was out the door and snaking through the store.  When you entered you didn't walk around, you just stayed in line and grabbed things from the shelves on your way to the registers.  Afterwards, I ran home, packed some clothes, laptop, food and wine in my suitcase and set out to meet Joey.  We had a quick last meal before we made our way to Queens.

Little did we know we were about to spend 5 days and 5 nights and every moment in between with each other.  Luckily, Terra has a super awesome apartment with a great big living room that has three couches (this also marks the beginning of me sleeping on couches for about a month and a half).

Her roommate mostly holed herself up in her room and would run out to update us about Sandy's progress, occasionally showing us pictures.  She was all worked up about the giant wave crashing into the Statue of Liberty, which was hilarious because it was 10:00 at night and the picture showed daylight.  It was obviously fake but we tried not to tease her too much.  She was super freaked out and I think a little taken back that we weren't.  Her paranoia took care of the important things like freezing water and filling up bottles while the rest of us checked our OKCupid accounts and voted on which bottle of wine to open next.

The whole week is kind of a blur or Oreos and romantic comedies.  We ate so much junk, watched so many stupid movies, did each others make up, drank a lot of wine.  Minus the makeover that seemed to be most people's hurricane experience.

We were very lucky that we didn't have any damage and that the worst of the ordeal was losing our cable and Internet.  I can't believe we were all still friends after that much togetherness.  Apart from a couple arguments, we made it out pretty much unscathed.  Too bad we couldn't say the same for our bank accounts.  We were all servers at that time and as a server who depends on tips for their livelihood, losing a week of work was incredibly painful.  Our restaurant lost power and it did not open until a week after the hurricane hit.  Even after the worst of the storm was out of the way we were stranded due to flooding in the subway systems so we could do nothing but wait.  And eat.

I can't even tell you how great it was when we were finally able to get back into Manhattan.  There was an energy in the city, a kind of bond that seems to only happen after disasters or rare events that effect the masses.  There was buzzing excitement and camaraderie as everyone recounted their experience and tried to get back to their normal routines.  

I had never been so excited in my life to go to work.  I can't say that excitement lasted long after the return but we were all thrilled to see each other again.  You would think it had been months apart as we greeted everyone with big hugs and big smiles and our brand new big bellies.

Unfortunately, others were not so lucky.  People lost their lives, their loved ones, their homes, their belongings and memories.  I knew people in Manhattan without electricity for more than a week and without water for three.  Mother Nature had a big lesson for all those people who said it would be no big deal.

Considering the extensive damage I feel pretty guilty saying this, but Sandy was one of my favorite experiences in NYC so far.  It was weird to be in the middle of it, to read the stories on the news and know that I was there, to get the messages from friends and family at home wishing me well.  And it connected me, Joey, and Terra to each other in a really special way.  You don't spend that amount of time with people without getting to know them in a whole new light.  And despite the fact that Joey farted and woke himself up when I was about to crawl into bed with him, I still love him.

A storm is a brewin'

Union Square filled with ConEdison trucks in preparation for Sandy


Last Meal

wine? check.  pillow? check. done. 


Venturing to the store to get some goodies.

'Twas windy!



Stores were sold out of milk.  Weird thing to buy when you think you might lose power....

Toilet paper was also in high demand.  This, I understand. 

We walked to Ryan's house to hang out for a bit.

Mostly we just ate all of his cookies and candy then left. 

Makeover!






Sparklers in the storm.  We were getting a little stir crazy!




Macaroni and hot pockets

Hipster makeover



Aftermath in Queens



On our walk to check out what damage there was we randomly came across Kayla and her boyfriend as they were pulling up to his house.  We had no idea he even lived on that street.  It's a small world after all. 


We walked to Astoria and had an amazing meal with Billy!


You can't stop Trick-or-Treating, Sandy!  This little cutie pie was showing off her best MJ moves.  

Chicken, salad, and more mac n' cheese.  This tasted gourmet at the moment.  

Back in Manhattan! Finally!


After only leaving her one day before, Joey and I randomly ran into Terra on the streets of Manhattan.  Again, small, small world. 

I love lamp.