Thursday, February 7, 2013

Blame it on Sandy

I am blaming it on Sandy.  It seems that since the hurricane I have done a terrible job at updating my blog.  It's not because of anything hurricane-related, but pretty much since the hurricane started so did the shitshow of my life.  Everything changed in three months, which is incredibly awesome, if not a bit overwhelming.

Today, I am attempting to update my blog and catch you up on where I have been.  Here's a quick rundown with more details to follow in the individual blog posts:

I had a lot of issues at my apartment in Jersey that were not being dealt with by the management company.  Combined with the fact that I was getting pretty lonely on that side of the Hudson I was ready to get the eff out.  I was very up in the air about what I wanted to do, whether I was going to stay in NYC or not, and I had some great friends who offered to house me while I figured it out.  So, I spent a month being homeless and sleeping on April's couch in Washington Heights.  She and her husband totally saved me and I am forever grateful for their hospitality.  It was a very interesting experience to not have a place to call home and it changed me and taught me a lot about patience and accepting the situation you are in.

I eventually found a room in Brooklyn with Jess, a girl I worked with at Almond, and moved in right before coming home for Christmas.  I love where I live now and I love my roommates.

Around this same time I was getting really tired of serving and I needed a job change.  I knew that if I was going to stay in New York I wanted to get some different career experience.  I was incredibly lucky that I have made some great friends and connections that allowed me the opportunity to work at a film production company in Manhattan.

I am now 1 year and 3 months into my adventure here, and while I am not certain that NYC is the place for me forever, it is definitely a place that I am deeply in love with right now.  But like every passionate relationship, it certainly has its ups and downs.