Sunday, February 10, 2013

Vagabond

If you have the opportunity to be homeless for a month I would suggest you do it.  Especially if you can do it some place like New York City.  

Now, in all fairness I wasn't truly "homeless" in  the sense that I was living on the street, sleeping on a cardboard air mattress, and begging for money,but I was "homeless" in the fact that I did not have a home. Only a suitcase, a storage unit, and a great friend.  April and her husband let me stay on their couch for about a month after Sandy.  I was very lucky that many people offered their couches to me, but April cooks a lot so I stayed with her.  Plus, we had a ton of fun and it gave me my first taste of roommate life in NYC.  Thank you so much April for your hospitality and generosity and all the food and alcohol a homeless gal could hope for! Not to mention the movie lessons. 

It was kind of fun being a shit head and a free spirit.  I spent more time wandering around the city in parks and going to meet friends.  It was a great conversation starter in bars when people asked where I lived.  And I ended up passing out in a lot of great apartments waking up next to really cute dogs.  It was a month of being forced to be carefree and it was amazing.  Obviously, the romance didn't last and I eventually just really wanted a room and a bed and some privacy, as I am sure April and her husband wanted theirs.  
  
 


You can take away our shift drinks but you can't take away our drinks. 

She let me lick the mixer...yes! 

She invited Joey over for a friend dinner. 

Stuffed and satisfied. 


These are my very first macaroons.  April and I were walking to work together and we passed a macaroon shop and she decided to stop because she is fun like that. 

They are almost too pretty to eat. 

Sooo good, I think my favorite was the Jack Daniels salted caramel. 

This is how gorgeous we are when we wake up.