Thursday, February 21, 2013

The Met

Billy, fellow Arizonan,  and I met up on a lovely Sunday after Nemo to have some brunch and to check out The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  On our way we walked through a bit of Central Park to see it covered in snow.  It was a nice sunny day so there were people everywhere walking, sledding, and building snowpeople.  It was truly a Winter Wonderland!  

It was my first time there at The Met and I absolutely fell in love.  It is an incredibly beautiful, gigantic building right on the edge of Central Park.  And if you know anything at all you know it is Serena and Blair's territory.  A little tip to visitors: many museums in NYC have a suggested price, meaning the $25 listed on their signs is insane and you can walk up with $1, ask for a ticket, and they will give you one.  There's probably something wrong about this and my thinking and I know museums take money to run and thank goodness they are there to bring this beautiful art into our lives, but I am broke and I don't really feel I need to be responsible for their funding.  I am sure there are galas that plenty of rich people feel important going to and donating.  They probably get their name on a little plaque or something. 

I have this thing when I go shopping for shoes that I can't control.  There are audible gasps when I see something I like, a good kind of pain in my stomach from the thrill of something that pleases me to look at.  Sometimes I tell the shoes how pretty they are with a light little stroke.  Museums are a very similar experience for me, without the stroking otherwise I would be kicked out or sued or something.  But when I walked around The Met, I am sure I gasped at least twenty times.  I was in awe of the immense and varying collections.  There were areas that were set up like you were walking through a Victorian house and you felt like you were in the rooms, it was brilliant.  There were glorious Greek statues dating to the BC days.  I saw works by the legendary Van Gogh, Monet, Matisse, Picasso.  All so amazing to see in person and it is so crazy to be that close and imagine the artist, this almost bigger than life character, sitting in front of these very canvases creating this art.  I love looking at all the little details, the thickness of the paint in certain areas, the way the colors are combined, the technique of their brushes.  It absolutely fascinates me.  

I always love seeing works that I studied in college.  It's such a thrill to see the things in person that I had only ever viewed on a PowerPoint.  The best moment of the day, and one I will remember forever, was seeing my first Mucha.  Alphonse Mucha is my favorite artist, my tattoo is inspired by his work, and I had never seen it in person.  I had no idea that I was going to turn a corner and be faced with his beautiful painting.  It took my breath away. I had a real physical reaction to the beauty in front of me and I stood there staring and examining every detail.  I wish everyone could feel what I felt when I was faced with his work, the feeling is so unique and so special.  I love the way it moves my soul. 

NYC holds so many treasures.  


Billy and me in The Park









My Mucha

The light in these paintings was incredible.



A bookcase I studied in college