Thursday, February 21, 2013

Nemo...My First Blizzard!

For an Arizona girl, it was quite a year for weather in NYC.  I experienced my first hurricane and my first blizzard in a matter of months.  I think I kind of preferred the blizzard.  I got to leave work early, my bosses had never even come in, and on my way home I went to Trader Joe's.  This time I went to the food shop, not the wine shop like before Sandy (they are separate in NYC).  I was surprised to find just as many people stocking up on food as there had been for booze during the last pending natural disaster.  

I couldn't believe how much snow was consistently dumping from the moment I left work and throughout the entire night.  I love it when it snows; it gets so peaceful and quiet, everyone retreats to their homes, and the flakes look like little pieces of glitter floating through the sky.  I got my PJs on, settled into bed with my snacks and my Netflix, and hibernated until the next morning. 

I got up early, excited to look out my window at the blanket covering everything.  I was up before there were tracks in the snow and I made my way to Brooklyn Bridge Park.  It was an absolutely gorgeous day and there were many families out playing in the snow.  On my walk back everyone had woken up and started shoveling their sidewalks.  Snow is a big fat pain in the ass.  A beautiful, wonderful nuisance.  Luckily, I didn't have to drive or shovel so I just got to enjoy it.  

Walking home early from work!



My radiator was so hot that I literally had my window wide open during a blizzard and was still sitting right there in a tank top watching it completely warm.

The streets were quickly covered in a beautiful white blanket


Next day, opened my front door to a little wall of snow. 

Snowflakes on my eyelashes.

At Brooklyn Bridge Park



View of Downtown Manhattan