Monday, September 10, 2012

An Explorer at Heart


My incredibly frustrating battle to end my lease with this terrible management company brought me to a beautiful place today, the grand Hudson County Courts.  I was in awe of the architecture and columns on the outside of the buildings, but the murals and detail inside the buildings blew me away.  I felt like I was some place very important, and I guess in a sense I was.  But I am also easily impressed by old buildings due to the fact I grew up in a fairly young state.  It had the air of a place that required hushed tones and a calm demeanor. 
I received no solutions today but it did lead me to a new part of Jersey to explore and I set out for an adventure.  I decided to walk from Journal Square to Liberty Park which offered a beautiful view of Ellis Island, the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan.  It was an incredibly gorgeous day today, breezy and 72 degrees, partly cloudy and completely reviving. 
On my way to the park I happened to walk by an old cemetery, Jersey City Cemetery.  I could not resist a walk through the worn cobble stone paths along the overgrown grass and toppling headstones.  I love graveyards, I always have, and I can’t quite explain it…although, I don’t think I am alone in this fascination.  It is incredible to think of all the people here before us, to see the dates on the headstones and imagine their world, to see the grave of a young girl and imagine the heartache and circumstances surrounding her death.  I ponder the bones beneath the dirt, the souls that must still be lingering there.  Cemeteries bring out a peaceful reminiscence in me.  I spent a while walking along the paths, spooked by a little badger that kept running away from me, the only other movement besides the wind in the tall trees that extended over the headstones.  I donated to the fund for the upkeep of the cemetery, which indeed appeared to need some TLC.  Although the overgrown grass and the leaning headstones gave it a very real, very sad feel that seemed appropriate.  On my way out I was stopped by a police officer who had been directing traffic through the construction zone at the entrance.  He asked me if I knew the history of the cemetery and I told him I did not.  He said another officer wondered aloud if I knew someone buried there and he said I probably just wanted to look at the headstones.  I told him he was right and he pointed in the direction of a large mausoleum at the back of the property that was the resting place of thirty people who were infected with a plague, I do not recall if he told me dates but I imagine it was at least 100 years ago judging from the dates on the other graves.  He said no one knows who the people were, the grave is unmarked, and they put them there for fear of the disease spreading.  He also informed me that the high school across the street used to house slaves and that there was an underground tunnel from the high school that ran under the cemetery through to the railroad tracks on the other side.  I was so glad that this man had stopped me to tell me these stories, I think he was excited to share the history and glad that someone was interested and he thanked me for my donation.  My walk took me through the Historic District which seemed to be undergoing a lot of construction, but it was a lovely part of town with streets intersecting at odd angles and little cafes on the corner.
Liberty Park is along the water and a marina, it is huge and open and gorgeous.  Along the water there is a September 11 Memorial that I did not know about, but was very appropriate for me to run into considering tomorrow is the 11th Anniversary of that day.  There is something about water that renews my spirit; maybe because I am a Pisces, or because my mother has a love affair with the beach, or because I grew up in a desert, but it always feels incredible to hear waves hitting a shore and to look out and see the rolling blue blanket, a wet version of the sky. 
I made my way back to Manhattan where the train dropped me by the World Trade Center; it was swarming with very bored looking people in suits and skirts headed for their commute home and a few tourists taking pictures of the Freedom Tower.  I joined the tourists and snapped a picture of the building whose progress I have watched since last year.  Right now at night it is lit up in horizontal sections of red, white, and blue and the twin lights shoot into the sky next to it.
 I sat down in Battery Park for the first time since the beginning of my adventure that day and had a snack while reading my book and watching the sunset.  I realized that it had been a long time since I had watched the sunset and it made me think of Maui.  When I spent two weeks in Maui a few years ago, sunset was my favorite time of day.  I would go out with my boogie board every evening just before and get in some time with the waves then sit on the beach or lounge on our lanai and watch the sun slowly melt into the water.  In Maui the beaches are filled with people at sunset just watching, paying their respect to the end of another day, taking a minute to stop, to contemplate, to breathe, to enjoy, to live.
It was a wonderful day and it left me feeling renewed.  I realized that nothing makes me feel more free than when I am in a new and unfamiliar place, alone and happy.





 Jersey City Cemetery












Jersey from a new perspective

I think of my dad every time I see Canadian Geese

Ellis Island


 A Tale of Two Cities
Jersey on the left, New York on the right


 9/11 Memorial, Liberty Park





Freedom Tower