Sunday, August 5, 2012

Mom Goes to NYC: Part One

Just a couple weeks ago my mom called me and asked if she could come visit.  Of course, I was elated and said, "YES!".  I wasn't expecting her to come and visit until October, so this was a great surprise.  My mom is my best friend and I have missed her so much!  I really, really needed some mom time.  It felt so good having her here, I don't think I realized how lonely I had been. 

I can remember conversations, before I even thought about moving here, about how New York City was a place she never really cared to visit.  I am lucky to be raised in a nature-loving family and the beach is really more my Mom's style.  But like a lot of people, myself included, she had limited visions of a New York City that was far crazier and hectic and crowded...basically, Times Square everywhere.  I knew that she would love it and be surprised at how much beauty this city has to offer.

 She flew in late afternoon and I met her at the airport.  We made our way into the city together and, with bags in tow, went off in search of an amazing Chinese restaurant that I ate at once.  Unfortunately, I never found it and I ended up walking her around too much, but she was a good sport and eventually we found another Chinese restaurant that is now my favorite (Great Sichuan 26th/3rd).  We had sesame beef, orange chicken, and this amazing bok choy.  It started pouring outside, and of course these two Arizona girls did not have their umbrellas, so we waited it out and left when it was just sprinkling to began the journey to West New York!




The next day I had to be at work in the evening so we got an early start on our day and went downtown to the Financial District and South Street Seaport. 

 Mom and me on the subway


Downtown


South Street Seaport with the Brooklyn Bridge in the background

We found her initials!

 We had lunch at a really cute restaurant, Cowgirl Seahorse, tucked down by the Brooklyn Bridge.  It is a cozy atmosphere and delicious, simple food.

 



 On our way to the bridge we walked by the Courts.  I love this area, the architectire is so beautiful and it just looks like something you see on TV, which I am sure you have. 




 It was a really hot day but we were troopers and decided to walk part of the Brooklyn Bridge.  On a nice day it is one of my favorite things to do.  It offers a great view of the city, but watch out for the cyclists, they are assholes if you get in their way.  And that is something you only ever learn the hard way.




notes on the bridge

Daddy always said, "Ya ain't Dutch, ya ain't much." 

A headstone in St. Paul's churchyard, right next to the World Trade Center. It is hard to read but this one is from 1791 and the bottom says "Death comfortably ends a well spent life."

The WTC Freedom Tower, under construction. 


Battery Park Marina


I was less than thrilled to have to lgo  to work and leave my mom alone.  She didn't mind being alone in NYC, but I really wanted to spend as much time with her as possible.  I left her in Union Square with some places she could go and she was going to visit me at work later for dinner. But luckily my coworkers kick ass and my boss let me have the night off so I was able to have dinner with my mom at Almond.  It was wonderful to get to introduce her to my friends and for her to see where I spend my days.  The food is also incredible and we enjoyed a lovely 3-course meal with martinis that I managed to knock off the table.  The busboys came to my rescue before anyone noticed and they thought it was hilarious.  My boss offered her the official drink of Almond, a shot of Jameson, but she politely declined (an act of class and restraint that I will someday master).  With our bellies full and happy, we went to explore more of the City.

The Flatiron Building, next to my work.

At the Farmer's Market in Union Square.  I gotta get me some succulents.

The Empire State Building was lit up in honor of the Olympics, with each side having the colors of the flag of the competing countries.


 There is nothing quite like Times Square at night.  The lights, the crazy people, the palpable excitement in the air...it puts Vegas to shame.  It's a tourist mecca and after about 5 minutes your senses will be on overload and you'll want to shove all the clueless people out of your way, but it is a must to visit. 
I hope you don't ask him spelling Advis..I mean, advise..WAIT! Advice...phew, got it.


 We walked a bit to Rockefeller Plaza and I told my mom that I wanted to find the 30 Rock building.  Well, I am an idiot because it's pretty obvious.  It's like the main building at the Plaza, towering above all the others...I just figured that must be 1 Rockefeller Plaza and that 30 Rockefeller Plaza must be nearby.  Good thing Mom was there to set me straight. 



 The Bergdorf Goodman windows.  My Goodness.  Breathtaking.  It's like going to a museum.

<3

We ended the night in Columbus Circle and exhausted, went back home for a great night's sleep.