Saturday, July 28, 2012

PRIDE

I guess I am pretty behind in my posting because I just looked up the date of the Pride Parade and it took place June 24.  But I knew the second I came upon the parade that I was going to have to share this with you because it was one of the most uplifting experiences I have had since being in the city.  I was working the morning of the parade, but was happy to see patrons coming in wearing their rainbow gear.  During Pride week the Empire State Building was even lit up with the colors of the rainbow.  A couple coworkers of mine had the opportunity to take part in the parade, and I was sad that I was going to miss it while at work.  However, when I got off I saw some commotion a couple blocks away and decided to walk towards it.  I I could instantly feel the joy in the air, it was electric. There were so many people wearing fun and crazy outfits, waving their flags, laughing, talking, drinking, taking pictures.  I literally got goosebumps walking down the street along the parade route seeing all the smiling faces celebrate love and acceptance.  There were all kinds of people there, gay couples, straight couples, families, groups of friends; there to show their support.  It was so pure.